Join the Friends!
The Friends of Newtown Public Library (FOL) is an all-volunteer, not-for-profit, 501C3 organization. The FOL meets on the second Wednesday of every month at 7 p.m. from September through June. To be a part of this vital organization, pick up a Membership Form at the library or download the form here.
Would you like to keep up to date with the Friends of the Library’s news and activities? Click here.
FOL programs are typically held on the the 4th Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m. in the Community Room. The programs are of interest to the whole family and are free. To confirm date, time and location of meetings or programs, email the FOL at email@example.com.
During the year, the FOL raise funds to donate for the betterment of Newtown Public Library. The all-volunteer group enables the Library to purchase items and equipment not covered in its annual budget through:
- Annual Book Sale. The FOL collect, sort and sell approximately 4,000 books at the annual book sale. Click here to sign-up to receive email alerts about the FOL book sale.
- Membership Drive during Friends of the Library week. We offer several levels of membership for individuals, families and local sponsors.
- Book Cart Sales. Year-round carts in the Library lobby provide both best sellers and many children’s titles. Hardback books are $2.00. Paperback books are $1.00. Children’s books are $1.00. When you take a book from the cart, please pay at the Circulation Desk in the Library. After you have read your book, you can bring it back and put it back on the cart to sell again!
The FOL members and funding help make the Library a vital part of the Newtown community. Recent endeavors include:
- July 4th Parade Float
- Monthly art shows featuring different artists
- Activities at Community Day
- Laptop for the Library Director
- Flat screen television for promoting library events
- eReaders for patrons to use and learn to use in the Library
- Digital camera for the children’s programs
- CDs, DVDs and books
- LEGO Mania program and Club
- Pizza and game nights
- Visit from Santa
- Hand crafter and Scrabble groups
- Local author talks
- Programs on gardening, downsizing and organizing your home and from local businesses
Lynn Elston – President
Open – Vice President
Julia Farber – Recording Secretary
Open – Treasurer
Phyllis Grover – Corresponding Secretary
Dorothy Elicker – Box Keeper
Open – Membership
Sharon Haslett – Hospitality
Terri McCarthy – Publicity
Open – Marketing
Open – Library Board Liaison
Sharon Haslett – Book Sale
Cindi Young – Book Cart Sale
Gardening: Please call 610-353-1022 if you could help in the library’s patio garden.
Hand Crafters: Meet every Monday at 2 p.m. in the Community Room. Come to chat and knit or needlepoint or crochet or just come to chat! No sign-up necessary.
Questions? Call Louise Dececco at 610-356-7981.
Scrabble is back! Meets every Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. in the Library. For ages 18 and up. No sign-up necessary.
The purpose of the FOL shall be twofold:
- Shall raise funds to be donated to the library to be used for the betterment of the library.
- Shall promote community awareness of the library by offering programs for the community’s entertainment and education.
For more FOL programs, see the library calendar page.