The mission of the Newtown Public Library is to encourage the joy of reading, the exploration of ideas, and the pursuit of lifelong learning for all.
After a resolution passed by the Supervisors of Newtown Township in August 1973, the Newtown Public Library opened on July 15, 1974 at 3129 West Chester Pike with 3,000 books in a 500 square feet space. Less than two years later, the library moved to the Acme Shopping Center where it operated for over 25 years. After a great effort by volunteers, the current 9000 sq. foot library was built and opened in 2003. The library has seen many changes throughout the years but continues to grow with the community.
Strategic Plan Summary
This strategic plan for this timeframe is aimed at continuing to
build the foundation of the library to support the board and director in improving the patron experience.
Goal 1: Expand Fundraising & Improve Budgeting
- Objective 1: Articulate the purpose of fundraising for the Library and make it available to all donors
- Objective 2: When practical, tailor a fundraising objective to a Plan, Goal or Initiative – short term initiative to one-time fundraising vs long term goals to an endowment or legacy plan
- Objective 3: Develop and evaluate a five to ten-year history of fundraising activities to fully appreciate the effectiveness of prior campaigns
- Objective 4: Design endowment and legacy giving programs
- Objective 5: Construct contingency revenue planning to address an unanticipated loss of revenue from cuts in government funding or missed fundraising goals
- Objective 6: Build a five-year budget that identifies revenue streams to support initiatives
Goal 2: Provide Director Support
- Objective 1: Establish a formal Assistant Library Director/Reference Librarian position
- Objective 2: Promote or hire a qualified candidate who can be developed to assume management responsibilities in the absence of the Director
Goal 3: Improve and Add Patron Conveniences
- Objective 1: Create quiet study spaces for patron use
- Objective 2: Install a drive-up drop box at street level for patron convenience
- Objective 3: Expand the library’s Wi-Fi range to include more of the township campus including the ballfield in Gable Park